Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Exploring

While exploring the different links available, I saw many that I was introduced to in EDUC 536.  Storybird is a great web 2.0 application to teach how to tell a story.  When I took EDUC 536 in the spring of 2011, I was a paraprofessional for special education.  The student I was working with was a 5th grader who was performing at a 1st grade level.  The on-level students were working on developing elaborate stories with a detailed scene, extensive plot and enhancing personalities of characters.  To modify this for my student, I worked with Storybird and using the pictures supplied, we built a story.  Even though there was only a sentence for each picture, there was still a story happening.  It helped for my student to see pictures and from the pictures develop a simple plot.  What I am not too familiar in is voicethreads, but looking through some examples, I think it would be a great resource to develop videos with voice so that I can flip.  I am looking for an outlet that I can record my voice but write or draw at the same time.  Then students can go home and watch the video to take notes from.  Do others think voicethread would be useful for what I need or do you know of any other resources?

3 comments:

  1. I never used StoryBird, if I am not mistaken; I think it is more geared towards the elementary levels. I’ve used PhotoStory before and it seems to be the same thing…you can create stories using pictures and text. I have never used voice thred but that seems to be a good idea you had there…..to put notes online and have students watch it for homework. Then in class you can discuss what they learned. It saves time in the classroom. I wish I knew about that during student teaching so I had a chance to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would save a lot of time! Recently this week I uploaded a video from my math textbook onto my students' Google docs, and students took notes on like terms in an algebraic expression. Since half the lesson was done, I just had to touch base on simplifying using like terms. There was so much more time for practice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. VoiceThread will work perfectly for what you have in mind, assuming you have visuals to put up and want to start the text or audio stream with a prompt to get students to write in or speak their responses. I think you can do three VoiceThreads for free, but then might need to have a paid subscriptions. When we have time in class, I plan to show some VoiceThreads done for a variety of subject areas and grade levels. I will have a blog post up about VoiceThread, but also have some already posted on the Computers in the Classroom blog. Check them out this link for instance: http://judyarztblog.blogspot.com/2011/06/ideas-for-using-voicethread-powerful.html

    ReplyDelete