Thursday, January 26, 2012

New Literacies


One of the resources I found valuable from chapter one was the article explaining the need to expand our understanding of reading comprehension.  When I was first reading chapter one from the site, I found myself getting frustrated.  I felt overwhelmed that there were so many links and, at first, I was not extracting any information as I would in other course textbooks.  I had to “explore” what the chapter was saying through different sources and links,  which is how I came about the link to the article.  My favorite line in the article was, “..children have proven they are ready for technology and excited about the changes. We can no longer allow the fears of adults to dictate or confine the literacy needs and desires of the young readers and writers of our future.” (Julie Coiro) Students are ready for technology in the classrooms and we as educators would be doing a disservice if we don’t come to that realization.  As I was applying for teaching positions, district after district displayed honorably that students were being taught to become citizens of the future.  To completely take on that task, we need to make our students able to compete globally which means they need to be literate on the Internet.  Looking at colleagues I have known and know, some are reluctant to make changes.  How can a change be made?  How can we help to support a faculty with mixed views on integrating technology? What are the first steps?

1 comment:

  1. That line is powerful. Technology is all children eat and breathe. Whether it is through a smart phone, DS's (the video games), or computers at school, children in one way or another are surrounded by it. This is a "fearing" tool teachers are hesitant to begin using. It could be they are used to the way they've taught and since it "works" they stick with it. Change isn't easy for everyone. Especially when it involves any means of technology. Technology workshops would be great for teachers and will give them the opportunity to work with technology professionals to answer questions and to help out if needed. Having a trained IT person at the school would also be great so that if questions do arise during the school day, they can be answered quickly (hopefully).

    ReplyDelete