Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Enforcing math through song?

Recently I created a video using Animoto to help enforce the concept of Order of Operations.  It was a tedious task to time the visuals with the words of the lyrics.  My professor helped bring into light if there is an advantage to linking lyrics with visuals.  Do the visuals truly enforce the lyrics I am desperately trying to creatively share with the class? My hope is that it does.  What do you think?  I know when I show my animoto (link to video is on a previous blog) I will ask for the students opinion!

I thought it would be helpful to share the site where I bought my rap on Order of Operations.  There are many more fun songs to help enforce some tricky math concepts.  A lot of the songs are targeted to upper level math classes, but fishing around I did see some songs that were suitable to use in elementary education.  Happy listening!

2 comments:

  1. Christina - speaking to you with years of experience within the media field and editing videos here and there, there is a natural subconscious connection we all make to what we hear and see. You can easily see it with music videos but it is also done with the tv shows and the movies we watch. For music and visuals, are minds are programed to see change on the strong beats of the song, because of this we tend to retain the information better as well as process the information we are receiving. I hope this helps. I enjoyed your video and trust me I got the understanding of Order of Operations by the time it was over. Great job and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kate! That did help! I never think of it, but I should incorporate more music into my lessons and with Animoto and Windows Moviemaker I can connect the music and create visuals so students retain the information better!

    ReplyDelete