Monday, February 20, 2012

Animoto-Video on the Order of Operations

Below is my Animoto video on order of operations.  I thought this was a fun way to introduce or review with students the order of operations and the common way to remember the rules: PEMDAS.  

At first when I was using Animoto I found it difficult to time the slides with the words of the song.  When I was beginning, I was using a song that had a lot more information in it, which meant I would have even more slides to create.  It was becoming more difficult to time the slides with the words.  Once I found a simpler song, it became much easier to time.  Did you find Animoto to be user friendly?  How did you create your slides?  I used PowerPoint to create my slides then saved each slide individually as a PDF.  From there I copied and paste into Paint which saved the file as a JPEG that could be uploaded into Animoto.  Do you think the video will engage students?





5 comments:

  1. Side note...make sure the video loads all the way to avoid skipping! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the song that goes with the concept...very catchy. I teach third grade so we aren't learning order of operations but...I am on my schools Math committee so I will share with the colleagues that teach Order of Operations. My Animoto was easy to create, I used the music that was available and just moved my images around adding text where I needed it. When I create my next Animoto I will import my own musicand try to match the images/slides with the song. It didn't skip, so it sounded great. My feet were tapping all the was through. Great Job Christina!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is really cool! I can picture kids totally getting into it and having a blast, but at the same time remembering the message about the Order of Operations. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the song and I think students will too! Where did you find it? It would be interesting to actually see a PEMDAS problem being solved using Animoto - maybe as a follow up?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I had purchased some math songs onto my iPod and made the animoto to go along with the words. Ya, that sounds like a great idea. The could also pose different problems to each other using Animoto.

    ReplyDelete