Saturday, April 28, 2012

Literacy Project

     At the beginning of this course, I was interested in flipping the classroom and in thinking how I could implement that in my room, my literacy project was born.  I wanted a place where I can store videos, either ones I created or ones that were already made like videos from Khan Academy.  My district already has a website that we must keep updated with homework assignments.  I was thinking of placing links onto that website, but I heard lots of complaints from students of it being slow or at times not working.  Then my administration shared that we will be getting Google Apps for the whole district.  At the same time as that announcement, we discussed Google Docs in the course.  Once I was signed on to Google apps in my classroom, I began to play around, which is how I learned to create Google docs and spreadsheets as well as create my Google site. 
     The site was used primarily for videos that I wanted my class to watch for homework.  Students would go to the shared site, and then click the link I assigned for homework then take notes while watching the video in their math notebooks.  Then, while conferences were going on, many students were doing poorly on their number facts and I shared that with parents.  Many parents asked what they could do to help and that flash cards were not working.  From their I decided to add resources for students onto my site.  I shared links to games students could play to help learn their number facts and math manipulatives they could use at home.  I wanted students to also learn from other students, so I began to implement student tutorials onto my site.  Students would work with Jing and the Smartboard to create videos on any topics they wanted from the year.  Students worked together with their partner to create skits, and then made their videos!  I really enjoyed working on my literacy project and can't wait to see it grow!

4 comments:

  1. Keep up your site. Let it grow with resources.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your literacy project was great. I find a website a valuable tool for classroom managment as well as students engagement. You have shown all of us throughout this course how resourceful you are with technology. Your students are so lucky to have you. And I would say others can learn so much from you. Thanks for sharing with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I am excited to build the site and watch it grow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was such a great project! Thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete