Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Stand up for education!

Yesterday I attended, with some colleagues from my district, the rally at the state capitol.  Do not mind the picture, it was the one shared throughout the district, and of course it is the one where my eyes are closed!
 I know I am getting political with this blog post, but I wanted to share my feelings and experience.  I have never attended a rally and was nervous and excited to do so!  Before I began teaching, I have to say that I was greatly uneducated and naive on politics, and always thought, "that doesn't pertain to me".  Once I was hired in September as an official certified educator, I began to listen to colleagues and my union leaders and I became interested on how the laws were and what I needed to do. 
I have such a love for teaching, that when I started hearing and researching about SB24, I was outraged and knew I could not be a bystander.  I began to write letters and emails to my local officials as well as sign up to attend this rally.  It was a great feeling being there were so many teachers who felt the same way! I even saw colleagues from other districts I worked with.
Did any of you attend the rally or know colleagues who did?  Did you see the broadcasts on the news?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for attending this and standing up for teachers. I was not able to attend but have sent numerous letters and emails to legislators and the governor. This bill does not focus on the real need for improving our educational system. We need to band together and stand up and have the voice for our students. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for representing teachers. I was not able to attend either due to a prior obligation but have submitted letters to legislators. I agree we need to stand up for change!

    ReplyDelete