Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Tech changing schools

It's inevitable! Change is going to happen and hopefully soon.  The world has changed in the last ten...even the last two years and educational systems need to adapt to adhere to these changes.  For students of the United States to compete in the global world, there needs, as the article says, to be a revolution! The strongest foreshadowing I saw in the article was the idea of no more dropouts.  Students could get the opportunity to take classes online and continue through their education-the true meaning of no child left behind....

3 comments:

  1. I do wonder how many students would stay in school, as you mention if they are given the opportunity to take courses online. I am torn between thinking this is a great idea and wondering whether taking out that social/problem solving aspect of physically being in the school setting is detrimental to high school students. I know that I would rather take many of my college courses online but I also know that when I do take these courses online I do not put as much effort into the work as I would if I had to physically attend course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great point Brianna. I do see how there could be positives and negatives. Unfortunately I can't help thinking of the popular teen show Teen Mom and if they were given the opportunity to finish high school online many of them might not have dropped out and now struggling to get their GED while balancing raising children.

      Delete
  2. Online learning definitely has great potential. Several years ago I taught an online course for Duquesne University. People love the asynchronous nature of online courses; being able to access a course in the middle of the night while you're in your pajamas is very liberating! However, it also takes a lot of discipline. I think if high school students were going to take courses online there would need to be some major training before hand.

    ReplyDelete